Thursday, April 30, 2009

Dr. Strange (of the label and record store) Interview (April 2009)


What we have in front of us right now is an email chat with none other than a mysterious man also named Bill, but better known as Dr. Strange. I'm writing up a piece on him right now but here's the straight e-mail dope.

Alright, for those who may not know, who are you and what exactly do you do?


I'm "Doc" of Dr. Strange Records and I run a mail order and "real" Record Store speculating in RARE and out of print punk records, CDs, t-shirts, boots, Fred Perrys, etc... If it's "punk" (or related) we have it! I also run a Label. The mail order was first (started in 1988) followed a year later by the label (100+ releases) and the record store has been open to the public for 11 years.


You ran a mail order distro along with your record label for many years before starting up the brick and mortar store. What inspired you to take the plunge into a physical location? Can you give a brief history of your shop?


Well, I always thought it would be "cool" to have a record store. I started the mail order out of my apartment and then moved it to my house. It was really just a combination of luck (finding a place) and necessity (running out of space) that made me open a store. Having 3-4 employees show up daily at my house got tiresome real fast. Plus I was newly married so I knew it wouldn't work. Opening the store was a lot of work but a lot of fun too. It took 4 months of hard work (mostly by my good buddy who can do it all). We had to paint, new floor, new signs etc... We barely had it opened in time for the grand opening. We were up until 3 of 4:00 in the morning putting the front doors in the day before!


Are the label and record store completely separate or do you draw from a community pot?


It was at first. I'd keep the Label and mail order separate but that has changed over the past few years. It's all the same.


At what point did you first become aware of MP3 technology? Also at what point did you notice it starting to affect your sales and revenue flow at the shop?


Because of the record store and people the "walk-ins" I found out REAL FAST! My first awareness of technology affecting me was when a group of kids would walk into the store and one would pick up a cd and then his buddy would tell him, "Don't worry about getting it. I have it and will burn you a copy.”


Has the economic situation had a noticeable effect on your shop? I know from personal experience that I’ve had to slash almost my entire record buying budget over the last year and it’s slowly but surely killing me; I’m sure that I’m not the only one with a similar story. You’ve been in the business for long enough to probably have a good sense about these types of things; do you have any inclinations or predictions of what’s coming next for non-big box record stores?


Oh yeah, of course. This Recession was not the first "hit" for record stores. It was the third. First was cd burning, second was downloading and then the Recession. It's a huge reason why so many stores have gone under. I have seen this day coming (decrease in sales due to technology) so several years ago I made a plan to sell more clothing and other items you can't "burn", copy or download. Selling shoes, Fred Perrys, belts, t-shirts etc has helped but it's still rough out there. I've seen a huge difference in sales trust me. I just need to be a little (a LOT) smarter when making decisions that pertain to the store.


What is your take on the current resurgence in popularity of vinyl, both as the head of a label and a record store? Are you worried that people have become so concerned about the color of the wax and ultra-limited pressings that they only see records as collector’s items and not a musical format? Has the resurgence caused any headaches on your end trying to get new releases out because of a back up at the pressing plant?


Good question. Well as I said early, technology has hurt us but it has also helped us. (which I didn't expect). Because of new technology you can now buy a turntable that is automatically set up to plus into your computer so you can download to you iPod or whatever. So that has helped with vinyl sales for sure. CD Sales are a lot slower (hey, that's fine with me, vinyl RULES!). I do hate what I call the "Trophy Hunter" mentality usually found on ebay. You know, those fucking morons that spend way to much on a rare record just so they can say they have it and rub it in their friends faces. I guarantee most of those idiots don't even listen to the record they spent so much on. I don't have a problem spending money on a record that you honestly want. I just cannot stand those that buy it as a "collectible" item and nothing else. Fuck you Poseur!


I never noticed before a couple days ago that you also run a distro for punk clothing (bondage pants, etc). When did that start up and why?


Yeah, it's been a couple years. Just another way of trying to sell something else that people cannot copy.


Is the store big enough for bands to do in-stores? If so, who have you brought in and have the appearances made a difference in your sales?


Yeah, it's about 2300 square feet. We have had bands play like: Casualties (10 years ago), several Dr. Strange bands, Ed Colver (world famous punk rock photographer) and more do in-stores. I plan on more. Once again in an effort to help bring people in. It IS a major headache but it's worth it (so far).


You recently released a limited LP to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the record label. What exactly is on the LP and do you have any other plans to celebrate?


No, I think just the LP is good enough. I didn't want to make that big of a deal out of it. Maybe for the 30th? Here's a listing of all the bands on it. I basically just made a cool comp using Dr. Strange bands: dsr-100 v/a lp “Dr. Strange 20th Anniversary lp” Only 300 made, picture disc, with bands spanning 20 years of Dr. Strange Records: Manson Youth, Rhythm Collision, The Bollweevils, The Freeze, Whatever, The Marshes, Mad Parade, Government Issue, The Skulls, Threats, Chiefs, Black Market Baby, Texas Thieves and 999. Strictly limited to 300 copies! Mastered by Tom Lyle of Government Issue w/ big booklet, discography photos and more.


I’ve talked to some other record store workers/owners and they’ve all mentioned traveling abroad to bring in some stock for their shop. Have you ever done this and has it been worth the trip? What’s the one record you found in an out of the way place that forced a double take to make sure it was real?


Sure, my wife and I used to make regular trips to the U.K. years ago just for that reason. We’ve been to Sweden as well. Basically ANYWHERE we go I'm always on the hunt for records. It hasn't been as necessary lately because so many people e-mail me from all over with lists or people come into the store. I think the best/coolest store (now longer in business by the way) was Beano's outside of London. Three stories of records!


While doing some research online I came across you speaking at the upcoming Los Angeles Punk Con. Can you give any details about what it will entail and what your role in it is? Do you foresee this becoming an annual thing?


Really? That's news to me. I do plan on going there for sure but Mike (putting it on) hasn't asked me to speak. I don't think I would to tell you the truth. The thought of Public Speaking does NOT sound fun to me!


What sells better at your store, the older classics or new releases? Over the years which album do you estimate you’ve sold the most of at the store to impressionable young minds?


Easy. The best selling has to be one of MY all time fav's: The Adolescents cd/lp "s/t". It's a GREAT release and a must have. Also, Circle Jerks "Group Sex" and Suicidal Tendencies "s/t". It's great because these releases sell to people of all ages. Why? Because they ruled back then and STILL rule!


Within the last couple years the label of Dr. Strange has taken to working more with older bands, either on re-releases or on new material after a long break; was that an intentional shift?


Yes, for sure. I decided to work with bands that were/are my favorites that have a similar mind set as I do. You know, these older bands (most of) are no longer together and don't tour. They just want their music out there to be heard. It's less stressful for sure.


What newer bands have you excited about punk rock these days?


The first band to come to mind is Government Warning from Maine? Back east somewhere. (ed note - Richmond, VA, and they do fucking rule) Great early 80's style hardcore. It's not that they're doing anything original or new, it's just that they do it REALLY well and with a lot of energy. But the truth is, for the most part, I'm still listening to the same stuff I did in high school!


Any last words or thoughts you’d like to add?


Yes, as I always do in interviews I want to give a very sincere "thank you" to everyone who has ever bought anything from my mail order, label or record store. Without those people I wouldn't have the best "job" in the world! If you want more info on me or want to e-mail to say "hey" check the site:

www.RAREPUNK.com

No comments: