Monday, July 7, 2008

Timmy Hefner (Chaos In Tejas) interview (May 2008)

One of the most fun weekends of my life came in May 2008 when I traveled to Austin, TX to go to the Chaos In Tejas festival. As far as punk fests go this thing is the ideal. I really can't even begin to describe how much fun it was. Here's the full Q & A from an e-mail interview with Timmy Hefner, the brains behind the entire operation. Portions of this interview were used in an AirRaid article entitled Punk Fest Trends. Co-writing credit goes to Joe Carson for a reason, because he did all the legwork in getting these contacts and questions.

What inspired you to start Chaos in Tejas? What does it take to put something of this magnitude together?

Well I helped Ken (prank records) organize a prank fest here and it went well. It kind of blew my mind as we had Paintbox come over from Japan for it. And they were the first Japanese punk band to ever play Texas and I have been a huge fan of all of the Japanese punk/hc bands since I got into punk and Deathside are a all time favorite and still are. So it was a dream come true to have Chelsea from Deathside playing my city and staying at my house. It was also the beginning of a really strong friendship between the Tokyo and Austin punk scenes that has grown super strong in the last 5 years. It was a real honor to have Paintbox play Austin and to meet Chelsea on 3 occasions and see Paintbox in Austin and Japan before his unfortunate death last year. I will be back in Japan in August for his memorial show. May he rest in peace. I hope he knows he's in the whole punk worlds heart.

Is it a plus or minus doing the fest in Austin?

I think mostly a plus...good weather, centrally located in the middle of the U.S, good swimming places and great food.

Is it a hotbed for live music or just plain oversaturated?

I would say both. I mean for a smaller band who is really great I think more people are likely to keep up on new records and go out to see them but on the other hand. There is so many shows and so few bands tour and not come to Austin that people are a bit spoiled.

Why did you decide to mix it up by putting Roky Erikson into the lineup?

I have tried to mix it up from the start but I just get a little more ballsy every year. I mean I had dead moon 2 years ago, Clockcleaner 3 years ago, both far from the normal Chaos in Tejas punk band. I also think a lot of booking agents for non punk bands just don't get or care about the fest to get bands here for it or maybe bands don't want to be the odd ball out on a hardcore fest.

Roky Erickson has been one of my favorite musicians for years and maybe my favorite Texas musician of all time. I have seen him play a lot and its always perfect but his set at the fest was one of the best to date, and Billy gibbons playing with him. WOW!
I tried to mix it up even more this year with No Age, Times New Viking, Majik Markers et cetera but all were in Europe as may is "festival season" in Europe.

Was it planned from the start?

Definitely an idea from the start, even an idea last year. Roky has had a big year so it took ages to get an answer.

How would you say the trends have changed over the years concerning the fest? i.e. new faces or old faces, fashion or passion, hipsters or lifers, etc?

Yes and no. I know a lot of people who have been to all 5(including the prank fest) but of course this year with Roky that brought out new faces and a lot of older people and more just random hipsters. Also a lot of different folks out for the more melodic bands like Dillinger Four and Leatherface.

What do you think was the craziest moment in the fest's history?

Mark Pesci (from the Bayonnettes) stage diving for the marked men and landing on his head 2 years ago an getting a concussion or maybe the entire Gordon Solie Motherfuckers set last year. Haha!

What kind of direction are you looking to take the fest in the future as far as bands, sponsors, and even going interactive?

I want to mix it up even more next year. More shows at different clubs. I will always do all 3 nights at Emo’s but this year I also did shows at Beerland and red 7. Next year I want to do bands at 3 or 4 clubs a night for all 3 night nights and both stages at Emo’s which in turn might take some sponsors. We will see. I have done it sponsor less so far.

What separates Chaos in Tejas from the many other punk oriented fests such as Mauled by Tigers, Dude Fest, Insubordination, Riot Fest, etc.?

I guess a punk fest is a punk fest. I think mine is more varied then most but to each his own. Some people probably think The Fest in Gainesville is the best thing ever and mine is full of shitty hardcore bands. I think every fest just depends on your taste but they are all just a bunch of bands and a bunch of drunk people.

Do you think Chaos in Tejas will ever fail like KrazyFest did, where it simply became too big to handle?

Of course I hope not, but you never know. I do all of the work which is scary. I feel like it is getting too big for just me in another year or two. I mean of course all of my friends help me and with out people like Jack Barfield, Jack Control of World Burns to Death, Logan Worrell of Sacred Shock/Iron Age, my friend Cat and so many more I couldn't do it. But I mean really it’s mostly me so in another few I might throw in the towel or hire some employees.

What are your personal highlights from this year?

Roky Erickson, Crude, Los Crudos, Invasion and Deskonocidos.
Roky is a living legend, period.
Los Crudos changed my life at 16 and martin is still an inspiration.
Crude show that Japan has for the last 30 years made the best punk and hardcore and still does; best house guests for a week too.
Invasion sound like a fucking bomb blast; best European band I have seen in the last few years and super good looking men if I say so myself.
Deskonocidos are the best band in Texas (especially now that we lost Repercussions and the Marked Men).
But really the 100% real highlight was the boat party. Every year I rent a boat for show/party during the day before the fest on the Friday. This year it was Crude and Hard Skin; it’s on a boat on Lake Travis about 45 minutes outside of Austin. It’s beautiful and really the only time I can relax with everyone and it’s really beyond words.

Looking back on this past fest what would you change, if anything?

I wish Reigning Sound and Times New Viking would have been here for it but that's about it.

Finally what impact do you personally think Chaos in Tejas is making on the underground community?

I doubt much more then everyone seeing all of there friends from all over the world and drinking and watching good bands with said friends but that’s enough for me.

See ya next year.

No comments: