Monday, November 17, 2008

I sort of saw Articles of Faith last night



3/5 of them at least. Vic Bondi's new (and pretty stellar) band Report Suspicious Activity played a show and thanks to a little goading from Larry Damore of Pegboy, something special happened. Bondi called up Dorian Tajbakhsh, who then called up Dave Shields. Both were into it and showed up with bells and whistles (or in Dorian's case, a shirt with his last name across it). Rounding it out were the brothers Haggerty, John and Joe, on guitar and drums respectively. "Articles of Pegboy" is what Vic called it.

Oh hell, let's have Vic tell you the story in his own words...


What did we do without YouTube? They played four songs. The opener was "Bad Attitude" which you can watch above (listen around the 3:44 mark, I think those are my horrid screams) then came probably the ultimate AoF anthem "What We Want Is Free." A gigantic dose of humor showed up next as Vic announced "This shit has been going on for 25 years!" before they played of all things, The Effigies' "Mob Clash." For those not in the know AoF and The Effigies had a vicious feud going back in the olden days and pretty much nothing has changed. I heard the first couple notes, did probably a quadruple take in my head, then burst out laughing at the complete absurdity of what I was seeing. Sadly this take blew away the last couple times I've seen The Effigies do it but that's another story. Then, as all good things do, AoP as we'll call them ended their mini-set with "5 O'Clock."

Seriously, how fucking lucky was I to see this? I'm going to steal a quote from my good buddy John Duggan to sum it up - "I never thought I'd have Vic Bondi shoving a mic in my face."

Here are pictures I took. I don't know how to re-size them to properly display on Blogger, but I think clicking the image might do it? If that doesn't work then right click it and hit "View Image." Bonus game, try to find the two punk rock legends that AREN'T on stage, merely on the periphery. Hint: how much throbbing can you take?



























3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you weren't the only one who did a double-take at the mob clash cover. that was f'n hilarious! i'm sure you also noticed a few surprise audience members too - Jeff Pezzati (Naked Raygun) and Dan Shaeffer (Sludgeworth/SW)....

Earthdog70 said...

Thanks Bill-I see Jeff Dean (The Bomb) kickin' it there as well!

Dfactor said...

Nice! I saw AOF many times back in the 1980-1984 era, but don't live in Chicago anymore. Covering 'Mob Clash' was a stroke of utter Bondi genius. I propped ya at my rockblog Waved Rumor.